Globalisation of Facilities Management: The FourthWave
Worldwide facilities management (FM) deal volumes for the first half of 2012 are 40% ahead of the same period last year. The Western economies have stalled and Boards are re-directing their strategies towards emerging markets as organic growth becomes harder to achieve and multinational customers seek integrated cross-border FM services. This report highlights what this increased focus on new markets means for M&A in the global facilities management market.
The key observations:
- Cross-border deals accounted for 20% of FM;
- Technical services continue to be the most talked about target segment of the FM market;
- Private equity continues to invest in the sector attracted by the buy and build opportunities;
- The economic downturn has delayed or thwarted the exit plans of several large private equity-backed FMs;
- The large listed FMs have performed well compared to global stock, with the exception of those with a high exposure to the construction market.